Full text of Doyle’s response:
This is Michael Doyle, Director of the Florida Keys Mosquito Control District.
The article regarding the building of Oxitec’s Rearing Unit needs is misleading and contains numerous errors. Please go to common public records and websites before before posting erroneous information. You will find most of the information below on www.keysmosquito.org.
Public Board Meeting September 17, 2014:
1) Agenda Item: “Public-private partnership (Doyle) Motion: Accept the Letter of 9/2/2014 Intent and approve the noticing of the proposal in accordance with Florida statute, Action: Approved unanimously”
2) From the minutes (posted on line since October 15, 2014):
“Public-Private Partnership: Regarding the proposal to move forward with the construction of the GM facilities in the Marathon location, a motion was made by Commissioner Shaw, seconded by Commissioner Bridges and passed unanimously by roll call vote to accept the Letter of Intent dated 9/2/14 and to approve the noticing of the proposal in accordance with Florida statutes.”
3) Per the audio from the Board Meeting, Theron Simmons of Vernis & Bowling, FKMCD Legal Counsel, explained the following about the Public Private Agreement with Oxitec:
• The Letter of Understanding states that Oxitec will be responsible for all repairs/revisions made to the Marathon facility for their use, this is at no cost to the district
• We were required to send out a Public Notice in the newspapers at least 2x – this gives time for members of the public to comment
• Also sent to Florida “administrative” sites – in case another private company decides they want to submit a proposal
• Also had to notify local governmental agencies and they would have 60 days to weigh in (Cities, County governments)
4) Public Meeting, October 15th, 2014 – Resolution 2014-06 “A RESOLUTION OF THE FLORIDA KEYS MOSQUITO CONTROL DISTRICT FINDING A PUBLIC PURPOSE FOR THE PREVENTION OF MOSQUITO BORNE DISEASE VECTORS AND THE POTENTIAL FOR GENETICALLY MODIFIED MOSQUITOES TO COMBAT AEDES AEGYPTI.”